Republican women clubs began to form in the early 1900s, following a concerted effort on the part of the Republican National Committee (RNC). Mrs. J. Ellen Foster, the first woman to practice law before the U.S. Supreme Court, visited the Western part of the country at the request of the RNC Chairman. She talked to women about getting involved in Republican politics. D. Minnie Howard of Pocatello accompanied her. In August of 1904, they called a meeting of Republican Women in Idaho and elected officers. This formed the first club of women voters in the State.
The National Federation of Republican Women (NFRW) was founded in Chicago in 1938. Idaho’s terrain made if difficult to maintain contact among clubs. Therefore, Idaho did not have enough fully organized clubs to make it possible to be federated until after 1943. The Nez Perce County Republican Women’s Club was established on April 29, 1943 and then the Idaho Federation of Republican Women (IFRW) was founded in 1944. Hazel Stone Shook, of Lewiston, was the IFRW founding President. She was a native of Pocatello.
The IFRW currently has two districts and 18 clubs.